Child having stomach pain and back pain. No fever. Could it be appendicitis?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 4 yr old granddaughter is having stomach pain and lower back pain. She is not running a fever. She is not crying all the time. So my thoughts are she is not in pain all the time. Could it be appendicitis?
But the pain is on the right side.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are most likely caused by abdomen or middle abdomen and can radate to the back and groin. Frequent urinating and burning when urinating appears.
It is also possible that she is suffering from gall stones. The pain is usually in the upper right abdomen and radiates to the back. It appears after a meal.
First symptom of the appendicitis is usually upper middle abdominal pain which after few hours migrates to the right lower abdomen. Nausea is a very often symptom. Fever is not necessary. So if this symptoms sounds similar to your granddaughter, it might be appendicitis.
It is advisable for her to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work and urine analysis. Liver tests are advisable as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Thank you for your help. Just a couple more questions. For one she is finally sleeping and has been for the last 5-6 hours. After she ate she was fine for about 5hrs after. She went to bed and woke up crying, we settled her down and about an 1 hour later she woke up crying again, that's when we were able to get it out of her about the stomach pain and back pain. There is family history of gall stones, but I didn't think it could happen to someone so young. She doesn't complain about anythng when she when she urinates, nor does she go a lot. I do know the flu has been going around in this area. From just being nauseated for a day, to vomiting and the diarehera and last from 1 day to several. Is that a possibility also? With the apendicitis is it consist pain or does it go away and come back? If so, can the pain go away and come back several hours later? Again thank you for all your help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Hello!

The flu can cause nausea and diarrhea, but it is rather impossible to cause stomach and back pain. Moreover, flu usually gives high fever. Lac of frequent urinating and burning while urinating does not rule Appendicitis causes rather constant pain which is succesfully aggravating, so it seems less probable.
I suggest you to have urine analysis at first.

Hope this will help.
Regards.