Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Child having red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. Body is complete red. Suggest the medication?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
My 6 yr old son just woke up covered in a red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. He is not on any meds. No new foods. His body is completely red. Should i go to hospital with him ?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
in my opinion you should take him to hospital

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
I understand your concern.
This allergic symptom could be due to variety of causes.
-Any viral infection.
-Insect bite.
-Any food allergy.

Physical examination is required in this case so I suggest you to get him examined by doctor.

In the meantime you can you can do following measures:
-apply ice over affected area.
-apply calamine lotion.
-give antihistaminic like benadryl.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child having red sunburn-like rash and itchy all over. Body is complete red. Suggest the medication? 4 hours later
The last time he had this was over amoxocillin and they assumed serum sickness. He has had nothing to eat out of the ordinary and tested neg to nut allergies :-( can insect bites cause a reaction? It started at his ears.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
relax,there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

Yes sometimes insect bites also cause such rashes.

In this case it has started from back of ears ,it could be a part of prodromal symptom of some viral illness.

In case rash is progressing get him examined by pediatrician.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor