Child having hearing loss. Using hearing aid. Speech is also hampering. Permanent solution for the problem?

Posted on Wed, 29 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello doctor,

My kid is diagnosed with Bilateral moderately severe sensory neural hearing loss in both the ears 3 years back when he was 6 years old . The loss according to pure tone audiometry is 58.5 db in right ear and 61.5 db in left ear as per air conduction . He is aided with hearing aid (basic model) on his right ear. We were advised to wear hearing aid on both the ears. Due to this loss, his speech is also not up to the XXXXXXX I am worried as he is average in his studies, However he is very active on other extra curricular activities. My queries are:

1) Is there any permanent solution for his problem
2) Is hearing aid/cochlear implant , the solution or can it be cured basis medicine.

Awaiting your response, Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXX

Thanks for asking XXXXXXX

Your son developed hearing loss at age of 6 yrs. So I suppose that he was able to hear and so speech must have developed by then.

I suggest you that --
- He has to use hearing aid , that is compulsory
- He needs to get done Auditory Training
- Intensive speech Therapy
- Annual hearing Assessment and if then the hearing goes down, then only he might be considered for Cochlear implant surgery.

Please take care by wearing hearing aids.
Hearing aids are the most important part and if he will not wear it, then he might develop changes in brain tissue, known as neural plasticity , and even then if the ears condition does not get further deteriorated he will have problem in understanding speech.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Sharma 39 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

We first found his problem at the age of 3.Audiometry and Bera test were done at that time itself. However, we could not confirm the exact loss as he was too young and was not co-operating . The doctors couldn't judge as they had a problem in BERA ( he was not in sound sleep and woke up very often ).

The second test was done the next year when he was 4 years and was adviced for cochlear implant. We postponed the implant due to financial crunch.

We gave him neural drops and homeopathy treatment .Subsequently, we saw improvement in his response and his speech also became better.

My worry is , at times he responds immediately and sometimes wants us to repeat or say it loudly.

We couldn't judge from our end as his responses were not consistent. We plan to do audiometry again. Please confirm if there is any possible medication.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 11 hours later

You feel that sometime your child hears and at other time does not,

This could be just a false feeling,
OR
There can be a component of serous otitis media (fluid behind the ear drums), this could be ruled out by test known as Impedance Audiometry for which contact an ENT surgeon or Audiologist.

If he has serous otitis media then he can be given medicines and can be corrected easily. After correction of this problem get done repeat BERA to know correct status.

If he does not have serous otitis media then get done audiogram, contact a speech therapist and use a hearing aid, as I said previously.

Nerve deafness cannot be corrected by medicines, but if there is conductive deafness like fluid behind the ear drums then yes it can be corrected fully.

If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Abhishek Sharma

ENT Specialist