Child having cough, red rashes on stomach and red cheek. Not cured by tylenol. Any suggestion?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: my granddaughter who is one has had red cheeks for the last 2 days along with a horrible cough. she has a rash on her stomach today and now her mother my daughter took a shower and has red cheek along with a horrible cough. my daughter has called dr last week was told to just give tylenol but my granddaughter doesn't seem to be getting any better with her coughs. my daughter has had her cough also for about 1 week or so. are these 2 things related and should they be seen by a dr?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for your query on XXXXXXX and giving me an opportunity to clarify your concerns.
Your daughter and granddaughter are suffering from a similar illness mostly of a viral exanthematous fever with cough since a week and your granddaughter is having a horrible cough since 2 days. Yes, both the episodes may be related as the upper respiratory tract infection will spread of organism from one to another by air and droplets due to coughing.

Continue Tylenol for fever in prescribed dosage and consult your Physician and Pediatrician as the fever is lasting beyond 28 hours and there is horrible cough, it requires assessment of respiratory system including lungs and to advise the proper medication for cough and the infection.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E