Child had abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed lymph nodes called aorta. Is this cancer?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi my 7 yr old daughter had an ultrasound on her stomach today the gp ordered it as she has been unwell irritable and abdo pain on and off for months now. At ultrasound she has multiple large lympth nodes called something aortic, the man kept saying oh geez there are heaps of them stomach and bowel...sorry para aortic I think and said gp would definitely call in morning...does this point towards cancer or just infection also what does riff mean in ultrasounds? there are several measured pictures saying riff
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may be due to both infection or tumour. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There are many causes of Para aortic lymphadenopathy.It may be due to both infection or tumour.She should be properly examined and investigated. Enlarged lymph nodes may be due to tuberculosis,lymphoma etc. Examination of other signs and symptoms should be done.History of fever is important. Investigations include routine hemogram,LFT,RFT,Mantoux test, CT Scan of abdomen and PCR for tuberculosis can be done if needed. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. If you have ultrasound report with you, please upload it.It would be easier to understand the case. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX