Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Child got head injury. Started having headache and feeling nausea. Should I be concerned?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5571 Questions
my son hit the top middle part of his head really hard. He did not pass out and i kept ice on it for some time. This was on Saturday evening. He is now complaining that his headache is worse and he is worried that he is confused. Slightly nauseated but he has eaten loads and went out on the Saturday night and drank alcohol etc. should i be concerned? My son is 19 years old
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the symptoms in your son do not suggest any serious head injury, and there is no need to worry at present.

Symptoms are suggestive of mild head injury and would improve over a few days.

As of now, he can take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets for symptom relief.

Please watch for the following warning symptoms:
Repeated vomiting, blurred or double vision, drowsiness, weakness of arm or leg, fits, etc. If any of these develop, he should go to the ER and get a CT brain done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child got head injury. Started having headache and feeling nausea. Should I be concerned? 15 hours later
he has been vomiting many times in the night and he has a fever and is very thirsty. I think this may be a virus like the noro virus and is not related to his head bang. He is feeling really ill but not blurry vision or numb limbs.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more information.

I agree with you that his current symptoms are more like a viral illness.

You can continue with symptomatic treatment with ondansetron (to control vomiting) and take care of his hydration (with fluids and juices).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor