Chest pain and vomiting. Cardiac test results came normal. On TUMS and omeprazole. What could this be?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I think I may have esophageal gastritis. I had bad chest pains and went to the ER. They admitted me and gave me heart tests and all were good. Then the next day I got the chest pains again so severe that I vomited. I am not in my hometown but my friends' doctor saw me and said I have Es. Gast. He suggested Tums and OMERPAREZOL. The pain lessened but the minute I try do do anything ( like make a bed,) the chest pains begin again. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the instructions below...

Detailed Answer:
hi
thank you asking XXXXXXX
I have read all your concerns, and I am sorry for the situation you are in.
It is good that you have performed all the cardiac tests and that they resulted normal.
This means that your heart is healthy.
With regards to your complains, yes, they seem to be related to gastroesophageal reflux.
For the time being, continue using TUMS and omeprazole to alleviate your symptoms.
Tums and omeprazole are a good choise
However, additional lifestyle and diet changes are also necessary to have more success.
So, it is good to :
-avoid spicy food, coffee, tea and chocolate
-try to copy with stress. I understand you are experiencing a tough period, however, be positive and you will go through it more easily. Stress plays a crucial role in aggravating your symptoms, therefore, I suggest to find ways to cope with it.
-when going to bed, try to use 2 pillows, this will avoid the passage of gastric acid to the esophagus, alleviating your symptoms at nightime.
- if you have any pain, try not to use NSAID (non-steroidal-antiinflammatory-drugs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclophenac, naproxen, nimesulide, etc as their use can aggravate your symptoms.
-At the end, I would recommend to go for a upper endoscopy when turning back in your home town.
It will help determine your final diagnosis.
Hope it answered to your inquiry!
p.s. If you have more concern, please write back to me

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad