Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Chest pain and vomiting. Cardiac test results came normal. On TUMS and omeprazole. What could this be?

Answered by
Dr. Klerida Shehu


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2250 Questions

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I think I may have esophageal gastritis. I had bad chest pains and went to the ER. They admitted me and gave me heart tests and all were good. Then the next day I got the chest pains again so severe that I vomited. I am not in my hometown but my friends' doctor saw me and said I have Es. Gast. He suggested Tums and OMERPAREZOL. The pain lessened but the minute I try do do anything ( like make a bed,) the chest pains begin again. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the instructions below...

Detailed Answer:
thank you asking XXXXXXX
I have read all your concerns, and I am sorry for the situation you are in.
It is good that you have performed all the cardiac tests and that they resulted normal.
This means that your heart is healthy.
With regards to your complains, yes, they seem to be related to gastroesophageal reflux.
For the time being, continue using TUMS and omeprazole to alleviate your symptoms.
Tums and omeprazole are a good choise
However, additional lifestyle and diet changes are also necessary to have more success.
So, it is good to :
-avoid spicy food, coffee, tea and chocolate
-try to copy with stress. I understand you are experiencing a tough period, however, be positive and you will go through it more easily. Stress plays a crucial role in aggravating your symptoms, therefore, I suggest to find ways to cope with it.
-when going to bed, try to use 2 pillows, this will avoid the passage of gastric acid to the esophagus, alleviating your symptoms at nightime.
- if you have any pain, try not to use NSAID (non-steroidal-antiinflammatory-drugs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclophenac, naproxen, nimesulide, etc as their use can aggravate your symptoms.
-At the end, I would recommend to go for a upper endoscopy when turning back in your home town.
It will help determine your final diagnosis.
Hope it answered to your inquiry!
p.s. If you have more concern, please write back to me

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Ibuprofen

doctor1 MD

My left upper leg just above the knee feels like there is a band around it squeezing and is very painful. I have been taking 600mg of Ibuprofen once a day for the last 2 days with very little relief. My foot also began to swell last pm. I do exercise daily walking at a moderate pace (3.7-4.2mph) for 4-5 miles.

doctor1 MD

I had a rod placed in my femur 6 years ago it was fine for the first 4 years but after that I have had pain in it just about every day. I take ibuprofen for it but it this normal? I have had xrays docttors say it is fine but it sure doesnt feel fine.

doctor1 MD

I have just been prescribed Zydol 50mg (twice daily) to take for pain relief from leg ulcers. I am currently taking 6 x 30/500mg Co-codamol per day (once in the morning, lunch time and evening) and 3 x 400mg Ibuprofen if required during the day. I am not sure when to take the Zydol. Do I take it before co-codamol?

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... What do you mean it is not serious if you get blood in urine after strenuous exercise? I have just been on a fairly strenuous hike. A little blood in urine. This has happened before. On doctor s advice I stopped taking ibuprofen and aspirin while hiking (for bad knees). Took two tylenol today. Same damn blood. Any advice?

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved to right hand. Even my right knee, ankle and thighs have started to pain. I have applied pain...

doctor1 MD

I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains . especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound. went to orthopedician they suggested couple of tests related to auto immune arthiritis, results are...

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats substantially in front of my right testicle. When I m standing it is more elevated than my right, and...