Chest infection with burning pain, coughing bouts. Taking amoxicillin. Have I damaged something with coughing?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 16 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi. I'm 44, 210 pounds, non smoker, female. I've been suffering a bad chest infection for the past week, taking amoxicillin 500mg three times daily. On the whole the coughing bouts are getting less frequent. But since a particularly hard spell of coughing a few hours ago, I am having excruciating burning pain across the chest, back and down my arms when I cough. Like a tearing pain. So much so I am scared to cough now. Had chest sounded by dr first time this happened and all was ok. Can I have damaged something with all the coughing? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Normally our chest muscles and intercostal muscles are not used to the strain caused by coughing.So whenever a person coughs up violently,these muscles get strained and inflamed leading to pain in them.
There is absolutely nothing to worry regarding this.
You may take some anti inflammatory analgesic like IBUPROFEN 400 mg thrice a day for 3 to 5 days and let the cough subside.
Gradually your symptoms shall go away.
You may even put some hot water bottle on your chest and back muscles as it shall soothe them.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks