Chances of getting pregnant from precum if penis is not inserted in vagina?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello,
My boyfriend and I don't have vaginal intercourse because I don't want to risk gettinbg pregnant but recently we've been rubbing against one another with his penis between the lips of my vagina with the head on my clitoris. He urinates everytime before we do this, we check for precum through the whole thing and he uses his hand/finger to cover up his urethra to prevent precum from making contact with me and he never ejaculates near my vagina. I just wanted to know if we have taken the proper precautions to prevent me from getting pregnant, could you please help me?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Hello
Actually with what you have described, the penis does come into contact with the vaginal orifice.
So, technically speaking, there is always a chance of SOME seminal fluid or pre ejaculatory fluid entering the vagina.
Even if he does urinate before, and uses his hand to cover up the urethral orifice, all it takes is a few drops of secretion to carry sperm inside.
So, I cannot say that these precautions will provide 100 % protection against pregnancy.
It is better to use condoms , as they provide more safety, and also protect against any sexually transmitted diseases.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Thank you for the speedy reply. We have only done this about three times now and with your advice will either avoid doing it again without condoms involved. Im just wondering if i should be worried now and do a pregnancy test or just wait for my period to start in three weeks. Im a bit of a control freak and I know I'll freak out waiting if the chance is high. So should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 58 minutes later
Hello again,
Actually you would get a positive pregnancy test , even if pregnant, only if the test is done at the proper time.
It comes out positive only at the earliest on the first day of the missed period.
If you have regular 28 day cycles, and you had your period , for example, on 20 th December, it would be positive only by 20th January.
Testing earlier is meaningless, as you mentioned your period is due in three weeks.
So, right now follow precautions for the rest of the cycle, and in case you DO miss your period, test for a pregnancy.
Alright, so only if my period is later than usual (sometimes I have 28 day cycles most of the time it is almost a 5 week cycle) I should test. But in your opinion do you think the probability of me being pregnant is low enough for me not to be worried about it? Sorry it has me scared. Also, for when we do plan to have sex I was researching the birth control shot. What is your opinion on its effectiveness and does it have any side affects (like weight gain etc...)?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Hi again,
Yes, given the certain precautions you used, chances of pregnancy are less.
WHat purpose would worrying about it serve, when you would know for sure only if you miss a period ?
:)
The birth control shot is almost 97 % effective, however it has its distinct side effects - common and most worrisome ones being weight gain and irregular periods.
Seeing how tense you are about your periods, am sure not having them on time due to the shot would be an added bother.
I think oral contraceptive pills or a vaginal contraceptive ring ( Nuvaring ) is a better option as it ensures timely periods and is not associated with weight gain as much as the Depo shot.
Also, avoid these hormonal preparations if you are having occasional , erratic sex. These are better when you are sexually active on a regular basis. Otherwise, condoms are a better option.
Many couples use a " dual " method of condoms alongwith a backup hormonal method to increase chances of protection.