question-icon

Can vaccination for shingles be taken while taking Cimzia shots for arthritis?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: My husband takes Cimzia shots for arthritis. Can he get the shingles shot? He is 71 yrs old
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (56 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
cannot take a live vaccine with this medication

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

He cannot get the shingles vaccine or any other live vaccine (measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, rota, yellow fever, influenza)

A live vaccine is a significantly weakened and altered version of the live virus.

Since the cimzia affects the immune system, it is possible that on receiving this or any live vaccine that he may not become immunized but may develop the particular infection.
If he already has a history of shingles, the vaccine may cause worsening not improvement.

The medication (cimzia) would alter his immune system and affect his response to the vaccine.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James