Can use Nystatin so soon after wisdom tooth extraction?

Posted on Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi i'm XXXXXXX
I'm 5'6 , 140lbs , 24 years old.
My questions are. well aprox a mth ago went to the dentist regarding my wisdom teeth, and to schedule removal. had a slight infection so was put on Clydimiacin, which to follow i developed thrush,
Got the thrush cleared and infection gone, had my wisdom tooth extraction last Thursday the 17th to follow with post op I am on clydimiacin again and developed thrush again..
I had another bottle persribed pre op in case the first go didn't clear it, I still have it new and up opened,
Can I use Nystatin so soon after wisdom tooth extraction? or will that lead to more problems with the extraction sites
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No adverse interactions with extractions/nystatin

Detailed Answer:
HI,

There really is no reason that you should no be able to have the wisdom teeth removed. That is as long as you continue the Nystatin before and after the surgery.
There are no documented adverse interactions between dental extractions and Nystatin. However, as the effectiveness of Nystatin is partially dependent on residual coating of the oral mucous membranes, the closed/sutured surgical site should not show any adverse reaction.

Follow up: Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 5 minutes later
So I am able to take the Nystatin, it will not effect the areas were the wisdom teeth were removed from?
Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ideally, you can take Nystatin

Detailed Answer:

If the wound is closed/almost closed ie: its been a couple of days since extractions then yes, you can take Nystatin as there is no documented adverse reactions with the same.
Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain

Dentist, Prosthodontics