Owl Image

Can taking Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Metoprolol, Tartrate, Quetiapine and Prozac together cause anxiety?

Owl Image
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Question
The medications that I am taking are: Atorvastatin 40 mg, once daily, Lisinopril 20 mg twice daily, Amlodipine 5 mg, once daily, Metoprolol Tartrate 25 mg, twice daily, Quetiapine 600 mg at night, quetiapine 200 mg in morning, and Prozac, 40 mg in morning. I am experiencing an overwhelming amount of anxiety.Is it possible that any one of these medications can cause anxiety?
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healhcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

As per the available details I do not think your medications are cause for your anxiety. As you might be knowing three of your medications (Metoprolol, fluoxetine, queatiapine) have strong anti anxiety properties and unlikely to be the cause of anxiety. On the other hand amlodipine have some form of mood stabilizing properties and not likely to cause anxiety.

Similarly two other medications (atorvastatin and lisinopril) are neutral in regard to anxiety and not responsible for feelings of anxiety.

To conclude it can be stated that the medications are part of anxiety treatment and unlikely to be cause for anxiety in your case.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.