What are the long term effects of taking Tryptophan?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
hey guys. im looking to get off fluoxetine. im looking at certain supplements. will tryrosine or tryptophan aid in helping me get off prozac. if so how much should take and for how long? are there any long term effects to taking tryptophan or tyrosine? thankyou.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
100-200 mg of 5 HTPn can be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Tryptophan (5HTPn) is often used for the treatment of depression and same can be used during withdrawal of Fluoxetine. The dose of Tryptophan for withdrawal purpose is 100 to 200 mg per day. It needs to be started at 50 mg and the dose can be increased by 50 mg every week. Once it is reached 150 mg (can be considered optimum as the minimum dose is 100 mg and maximum dose is 200 mg).

There are no serious side effects with it and it can be stopped after 3 months of use in most cases.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of taking Tryptophan? 4 hours later
are there any withdrawls with tryptophan. are there any concerns for chronic use above 6 months to a year of usage? and is the dosage used once a day?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally o withdrawals

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

The withdrawal symptoms, side effects on chronic use are not commonly take place with tryptophan. It is just a nutritional supplement which can be taken either once a day or twice a day in divided dosage.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.