Can symptoms of IBS and celiac disease be treated?

Posted on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello! For a few years since I was 39 I have had issues with my stomach. I have my own stomach doctor and after a colonoscopy and endoscopy there were traces of IBS and Celaic disease.

Since than I have used VSL #3 and IBGARD too. I still deal with flair ups. Today my stomach was making noises and I had cramps. Woke me up and an urgency to get to the bathroom.

Later today I had small soda and french fries. I eat small.Now I have cramps again and an urgency to get to the bathroom. What could be going on?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible residual disease activity of CD and IBS

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir.

I can certainly understand your concern.

Many of your clinical symptoms are directly related to the effects of IBS and Celiac disease.

It's important to start a short course of low dose oral steroids to minimize inflammation of Celiac disease and a short course of drugs to combat IBS.

I generally prescribe oral pills of Prednisone 5mg once daily at 6 am and Tab Lubiprostone 8 mcg daily bedtime.

These drugs will improve the symptoms in your case.

It's very important that you maintain on Gluten free diet only.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these pills to you.

Post your further questions if any

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Suresh Heijebu