• question-icon

Nausea, headaches. Stopped birth control. Have gluten intolerance. Could that be the reason?

I have been nauseous and had terrible headaches for the past week. I stopped taking birth control a few weeks ago and didn't have any side effects at first so i'm not sure if my symptoms now are a result of going off of birth control or something else. I also have eaten a lot of grains this week and some gluten which I had been avoiding due to thinking I am gluten intolerant. What do you think the cause of the nausea/headaches/fatigue is?
Wed, 29 May 2013
Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for posting your query to this forum,
Your symptoms of nausea and headache could be result of withdrawal of oral pills but usually they are mild and disappear with time.
The other possibility is migrainous headache which can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
If you are gluten sensitive then you need to go for test and if found positive you will be put on gluten free diet ,there is no point in presuming that you are gluten sensitive and avoiding food items unnecessarily.
Please visit your Physician and this can be treated according to cause with analgesic and anti emetics.
If migraine is there and frequent then some preventive therapy may also be given.
It takes 4 to 6 week to resume your period but if you do not get one take a urine pregnancy test and further action depends on result.
Hope this information helps you.
Good Luck.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.