• question-icon

Can severe headache be treated?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have severe headache for the last 15 years may be more. I consulted many neurologist and psychiatrist but still problem persist. My latest doctor said that I have migraine with tension headache. I was prescribed
Try-timer 50
Nexito 20
Serenace 0.25 twice
Sibilium 10 twice

But no improvement. What should I do
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nexito should be stopped and other medicines should be added.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking.

I can understand your concern. You have tension type headache and migraine since about 15 years and the symptoms are persistent despite the treatment. If we consider the drugs you are taking then Try-timer 50 and Sibelium are drugs for migraine and tension type headache. Nexito is an antidepressant drug of SSRI class. You are on high dose of this drug. In a lot of individuals with migraine higher doses of SSRIs worsen the headache. Senenace 0.25 is Haloperidol and the drug is an antipsychotic drug. The drug could help in reducing the anxiety and sometimes the drug is used in resistant cases of depression too. This could be the rational behind the use of this drug in your case.

If with these drugs your symptoms are persistent then in my opinion re-evaluation is needed. Valproic acid can be tried for persistent headache along with Tryptomer. Valproate is a good drug for control of migraine and can help to stabilise the mood too. So as per my opinion Nexito should be stopped gradually, instead of this Valproic acid can be added. This will help in better symptoms control and will also reduce your symptoms.

So please talk with your doctor for the drugs I have suggested. This will help in reducing your symptoms.

Thanks and Take care.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist