Can primolut n affect the baby in pregnancy?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: If the process for Periods has already started in the body, would taking Primolut N delay it further or would it continue with the periods
Does Primolut N, affect the baby if you are pregnant ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 38 minutes later

1. If you meant Menstrual bleeding by periods, Primolut does not affect the bleeding and it would continue as normal both in duration and amount. However when taken in early second half of the menstrual cycle it may prolong the second half and postpone the bleeding by few days.

2. Primolut N is contraindicated during pregnancy. Though the hormone needed for healthy pregnancy is progesterone which is similar to medication in Primolut, Primolut has higher dose of synthetic progesterone which can cause vascular complications to the pregnancy and may result in abortion rarely.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 39 hours later
My periods were actually supposed to come on the 18th of November 2012. However,it did not come until now so i was told by taking Primolut N 3 times a day for 3 days would help start the menstrual periods as soon as i finish the 3 day course.Is that true? i actually want to get done with my periods by this month end, as i have to attend an important religious function on the 2nd of December 2012.
I also took the urine home pregnancy test....2 times...one at a random time and one today morning with the first urine sample.Both showed negative,is that enough to confirm that i am not pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

1)Yes, it is true.Periods will be delayed until you are on Primolut N tablets.Once you stop the course as advised, your periods may start within 2 or 3 days from then. The tablets can be taken for a maximum of 5 days. Do continue the course, it may help you as needed.

2)Home pregnancy test negative on two occasions can be considered confirmatory and there would be no need for any other investigative tests to rule out pregnancy.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli