Can one drive after a hyperglycemic attack?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: How soon is it safe to drive after a hyperglycemia attack. My blood sugar was 485. I have to drive a longd
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hyperglicemia:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The blood sugar you reported is too high.
First i would suggest to check the ketones in urine with a dipstick, if positive you should not drive.
Secondly, what do you think is the cause of the high blood sugar: did you eat more than normally? Didn't you take the treatment correctly? Do you have any infection or fever?
After you have found the cause and after the blood sugar is under 200 mg/dl i would suggest to drive.
If you are taking medications that may cause hypoglicemia (glucose level under 70 mg/dl) i would suggest to take with you fruit juice or candies and check the blood sugar immediately if you feel the symptoms of hypoglycemia).
Hope the information will help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj