question-icon

Can one continue Topamac medication for treatment of tics despite experiencing dysphagia symptoms?

Posted on Mon, 9 Oct 2017
Question: My daughter 8 years has been prescribed risdone my 0.5 she has been suffering from tics for the last one month and previously has disphagia

Earlier she was having topamac and we tapered and stopped it as per the dr advice

Confused what to do
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (48 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can ask the doctor to switch her back to the previous medicine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would need to ask you the reason for change in medication. Unless it is on grounds of liver toxicity you can simply ask your doctor to switch her back to Topamac.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (2 hours later)
The reason for stopping topamac was disphegia which was acute and it took almost 3 hours to Finish of one chapati(bread) later therapy was given and now the situation has improved to 45 minutes.

The tics are eyebrows going up , eye balls going up , squirming the mouth , upper abdomen rapid movement

Her academic skills are good
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (13 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can give topamac a try once again

Detailed Answer:
I understand that topamac has been discontinued due to the acute dysphagia. But if you start it back again, it is not necessary that she would get the same symptoms once again. You can give it a try. If the problem recurs, you have the option of rapidly tapering it off once again.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician