question-icon

Can laxatives cause miscarriage?

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015
Question: what laxatives can cause miscarriage?
my wife is 6 days delayed and she has cramps in her lower abdomen. the cramps is on and off.would this be an indication of a miscarriage? but she is not bleedng though.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not an indication of miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
No, laxatives do not cause miscarriage unless it causes severe diarrhea.
Cramps are common in early pregnancy. It is not at all the indication of miscarriage.
I will suggest her to consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined, investigated including ultrasound and get treated accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine