Can i take soy protein inspite of having hypothyroidism?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi! I am 42 year old male. I have hypothyroidism currently controlled by Thyroxine 200 mcg and also type II diabetes also controlled and hypertension also controlled. Is Soy Protein harmful for me? I workout around 1.5 hours a day and that causes a lot of muscle fatigue and tiredness but is giving me good results weightwise and strengthwise so I don't want to lessen that, but I need a good safe protein supplement for muscle recovery and building lean muscle. Can I continue with Soy protein with my various conditions ? Or do you recommend another one?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can continue same plan.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

You seem to be going good, you can take soy proteins as I don't feel its going to harm you. You need to add calcium 1 gm / d in addition to whatever you are doing.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help you.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 24 hours later
Thanks for your response Doctor. My specific concern is that I had read somewhere recently that Soy is bad for thyroid and also raises estrogen in male patients and therefore not suitable for consumption by someone of my medical profile. It that true? And therefore does that impact my health in any way in the long run.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
moderation is the key.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX hi! Soy to cause toxicity, there need to be several factors, including iodine deficiency, defects of hormone synthesis, or additional goitrogens in the diet. The available research suggests that soy may not affect thyroid function, especially in those who have a normal thyroid. but you already have an existing thyroid problem and take medications for your thyroid, but at the same time now your dose has been stabilized. A general tip for you is to wait a few hours between taking your thyroid medication and consuming any soy products.
Exposure to estrogen-like compounds in the womb can lead to adverse effects on males. Studies on the effects of soy on testosterone and sperm quality are inconclusive.
inspite of all controversies , keep it limited. Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju