Can hypothyroidism affect HIV results?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Can hypothyroidism affect HIV results? I was negative in late April 2015, but now I am doubting the results. I also take levothyroxine once per day, and I don't know the basis of my hypothyroidism. Furthermore, I am confused as to what immunodeficiency diseases and autoimmune disorders are and how they potentially affect HIV tests. I am just mentally exhausted and want to have clarity as to whether or not I should take another test in July---I took the April 2015 test after 90-plus days post-sexual exposure and haven't had any other sexual exposures since then (January 2015). The CDC and WHO claims that a test at 84 days or more is definitive. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Hypothyroidism is not known to affect results of HIV testing.

Regarding the cause of your hypothyroid condition, the most common cause worldwide is 'Hashimoto's thyroiditis'. As you have correctly surmised, it is an auto immune problem ie the body's own defenses target the thyroid cells and eventually tend to make the gland under-active over time, typically necessitating lifelong treatment with levothyroxine.
The most useful test to ascertain if your hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's, is a blood check for anti-TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) and anti-Thyroglobulin antibodies.
Either or both of these auto-antibodies are usually positive in Hashimoto's induced hypothyroidism.
However, these are not known to impact the HIV test results.

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist