Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Muthu Krishnan

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 6 year old grandson developed a growing, perfectly round, bald spot on the back of his head, centered on his cowlick. It started in early September just after school started. Another 2 smaller spots appeared recently, but tiny hairs can now be seen in the first spot. His pediatrician is treating him for ringworm, and his classmates are staying away from him in case it is contagious. What about the autoimmune disease alopecia areata? How can we distinguish which is the cause? Could he be treated for each potential cause at the same time? A grandmother has rheumatoid arthritis.
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly continue the same medications.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Welcome to HealthcareMagic. my opinion is that your grandson is having tinea capitis, a fungal infection. He is getting the correct treatment. Alopecia areata usually runs in families. Alopecia areata occurs due to some autoimmune disorders. It presents usually with celiac disease, diabetes etc., it is unlikely in your grandson's case because your grandson has no systemic manifestations. Kindly continue the same medications for fungal infection.
Thank you for contacting us. Hope my answer will help you. Feel free to ask any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi