Can high GGT levels cause hematoma at the site of injection?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: High GGT can lead to increase the size of bruises? For instance, after I took blood tests 3 days ago, the mark of the needle turned into an "hematoma" not like it uses to be (just a small mark for 2 days or so)
My GGT level 3 days ago was 140
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
GGT does not cause bleeding. associated with Liver

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

GGT is raised in many conditions mostly in liver ones. Injection site turning into hematoma is not the result of it. It indicates a deranged bleeding profile and as liver is deranged in functions and liver synthesises all the bleeding profile components so it is likely that bleeding profile is deranged. Complete blood count and platelets and PT, APTT and INR should be addressed.
Here is the list of indications in which GGT can rise.from normal range of 0-30.
Hepatitis (acute and chronic)
Cirrhosis
Liver metastasis and carcinoma
Cholestasis
Alcoholic liver disease
Primary biliary cirrhosis and sclerosing cholangitis
Extrahepatic causes for GGT level elevation include the following:

Pancreatitis
Carcinoma of prostate
Carcinoma of breast and lung
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Alcoholism
Congestive heart failure and chronic coronary artery disease: The level of elevation correlates with the risk of death secondary to cardiovascular disease.
GGT levels may be increased due to medications, such as carbamazepine, cimetidine, furosemide, heparin, isotretinoin, methotrexate, oral contraceptives, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and valproic acid.
Smoking may cause elevated GGT levels.
GGT levels are higher among blacks.
GGT levels may be increased in mononucleosislike syndrome (MLS).
Decreased GGT levels are associated with hypothyroidism and early pregnancy.

Nut shell, bleeding diathesis accompanied by likely deranged liver functions but not because of raised GGT.
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan