Can herpes infection be transmitted while on Valacyclovir tablets?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: How much does this cost?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No lesion means you cannot transmit it to your partner!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these worries related to herpes. Herpes can only be transmitted when you have an active sore(lesion). Without one, there is no way you can transmit this infection. Normally, longterm therapy with valacyclovir is encouraged when you are having frequent, repeated and sever outbreaks. I am unable to understand why you are on this drug given that you are not having frequent outbreaks.

In all, you cannot transmit herpes without an active sore or skin lesion. Check with your doctor to understand why you are on this drug.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Dear Dr Ivo Ditah

This question is in regards to question and answer a few minutes ago with you.

Why was I diagnosed by my MD and x partner of giving HSV1 (4 1/2yrs ago) to the x partner of 10 years - based on prior question/answer I seem to be carrier but somehow have escaped any kind of symptoms of HSV1. I have been sexually active since age 15 1/2 and never ever any situation of this kind ever has presented itself with any partner or myself.

My MD said since I have antibodies similar to x partners virus, then I am to blame for his first lesion ever experienced on his penis. I believed MD. During the 10 yrs there had never been a lesion on his partner's body (or mine). X partner had admitted to sexual activity elsewhere. Based on answer you just gave me I am left confused as to why I have been assigned this medication for rest of my life, which is length of time MD told me I must take Valacyclovir HCL 500mg q d. What do I do, I can't understand my physicians medical talk when he explains the answer when I asked him 4 1/2 yrs ago. Will you please explain, what's up? One thing that has been a positive experience with this med is I have never had a fever blister these past 41/2 yrs. Myself, son (44yrs) grandson
(16yrs) often come up with fever blisters.

Respectfully,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not the common reason for prescribing Valacyclovir!

Detailed Answer:

Are you still with the same partner? If yes,because you both are already infected, there is no reason in talking antivirals except is you have an active sores that are severe and recurrent. That is certainly not the case at this time.

This drug for life is a little over the board unless for some reasons that I can’t get right now. Ask your MD why the drug for life. True taking this drug can help suppress breakouts but we need to document breakouts before doing so. We cannot do so in anticipation. Beside, you have never had a breakout before.

If I were you, I will request to stop this drug, continue with consistent condom use and see whether I have sores which warrant the use of these drugs. If that is the case, you would do so knowing it is the right thing and not because someone anticipates.

I wish you well. Keep me updated!