Can hemorrhoids cause bowel incontinence?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Can hemorrhoids impact bowel control? Proctologist. I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago & all was good except for the hemorrhoids being mentioned as internal & external.

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes hemorrhoids can cause bowel incontinence, needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Bowel incontinence has multiple causes and yes haemorrhoids with constipation are one of them and do cause such discomforts. I want you to know that incontinence is not an illness, its a sign of an underlying illness which is likely haemorrhoids in your case. That mucus like secretions and loss of control is attributed to these and should be corrected , rather should have been corrected at that time of colonoscopy.

No worries, all you need to do is get back toy our doctor, let them have a look, run some more labs like manometry, defecography, digital rectal exam and colonoscopy if need be to sort out other causes as 5 years is enough period. They will then decide what exactly other than haemorrhoids if any , is causing this and will try to remedy it.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan