What causes pain in the bladder while coughing?

Question
I coughed really hard while urinating. While coughing I felt a pain in my lower bladder, almost like a pulled or straine it. Now it hurts to urinate. Can you strain or sprain a bladder? Also, do to a hysterectomy at a very young age, my bladder is extremely low. Thank you for your help
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes hard cough does cause strain to bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for using Health care magic for your health concern.I have read your query & understand your concern.
Yes, it is possible to stress bladder with hard coughing .. as coughing causes strong movements of abdominal muscles to press the bladder down (& pull it up too). & cause incontinence & also soreness/ pain in bladder
* Mostly the symptoms are cleared after cough treatment & can be controlled only with anti inflammatory medicines & having sufficient of water intake.
- Normally such pain without any urinary complications can be managed by taking Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs over the counter (like Ibuprofen) &drinking plenty of plain water
* But persistence of symptoms / the pain while urination, suggests possibility
of -
- Presence of urine / bladder infection..
-Bladder stone causing bladder symptoms,
-possibility of bladder being bulged in vaginal vault ( Cystocoele).. leading to incomplete voiding of urine, causing some urine to collect(residual) in bladder, distension of blabber & pain.
In this scenario there would be need of detailed physical check up by a specialist along with investigations like urine routine test/ culture, USG scan after passing urine( as per need ) .
Followed by specific treatment by a physician would relieve you .Please consult your hysterectomy surgeon./ Kidney specialist.
I hope that answers your query. Do ask if you need some more information.
I would like to help.
Thanks.