Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

What causes pain in the bladder while coughing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 6147 Questions
I coughed really hard while urinating. While coughing I felt a pain in my lower bladder, almost like a pulled or straine it. Now it hurts to urinate. Can you strain or sprain a bladder? Also, do to a hysterectomy at a very young age, my bladder is extremely low. Thank you for your help
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes hard cough does cause strain to bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic for your health concern.I have read your query & understand your concern.
Yes, it is possible to stress bladder with hard coughing .. as coughing causes strong movements of abdominal muscles to press the bladder down (& pull it up too). & cause incontinence & also soreness/ pain in bladder
* Mostly the symptoms are cleared after cough treatment & can be controlled only with anti inflammatory medicines & having sufficient of water intake.
- Normally such pain without any urinary complications can be managed by taking Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs over the counter (like Ibuprofen) &drinking plenty of plain water
* But persistence of symptoms / the pain while urination, suggests possibility
of -
- Presence of urine / bladder infection..
-Bladder stone causing bladder symptoms,
-possibility of bladder being bulged in vaginal vault ( Cystocoele).. leading to incomplete voiding of urine, causing some urine to collect(residual) in bladder, distension of blabber & pain.
In this scenario there would be need of detailed physical check up by a specialist along with investigations like urine routine test/ culture, USG scan after passing urine( as per need ) .
Followed by specific treatment by a physician would relieve you .Please consult your hysterectomy surgeon./ Kidney specialist.
I hope that answers your query. Do ask if you need some more information.
I would like to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor