Can gastrointestinal bleeding cause dark stool?

Posted on Wed, 10 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy about 2.6 years ago. Everthing was ok . I had h pylori took meds tested negative.Ever once in a while when taken predsone my stools are a little dark like this morning. I have a ez detect kit that you put a paper in the water to dectect blood and that was negative. Any thoughts?I am a worrier always worried about cancer .67 years old no history
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your question.
In my opinion you have nothing to worry about.A H.Pylori infection or taking Steroids/ NSAIDs puts you at risk for developing a stomach ulcer or gastritis but not cancer.
Another point is that having darker stools is not a sign of gastrointestinal bleeding.In this case the stool would be black (tarry stools) not darker than usual.
The color of the stool is dependent from your diet and can be darker or brighter.
In order to be on the safe side regarding your concern of Gastronintestinal cancer would be sufficient a gastroscopy/coloscopy every 5 years and a hemoccult test (to detect occult blood in stool) and complete blood count to look for signs of an anemia every year.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.I would be happy to help.

Kind regards.
Dr.Rovena Murati

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rovena Murati