Can flu cause diarrhea?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Infections
Question: Does having the flu involve diarrhea ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can occur in some persons

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, diarrhea can sometimes occur with the flu though it is not as common in adults as children. It may be due to the virus itself or the excess mucus associated with the flu.

Treatment for diarrhea would involve---(1)replacing fluids and electrolytes to avoid dehydration

Oral hydration products or diluted sports drinks should be used.

(2)probiotics may also help as well

(3)holding off solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no diarrhea would help to rest the intestines.
When this 4 hour interval occurs, small amounts of dry solid food can be started

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions