• question-icon

Can blood on toilet seat when contacted with genitals cause HIV?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi this afternoon I used a public toilet and I think I may have wiped myself with toilet tissue with a tiny blood stain on it, I did notice that there was blood on the toilet seat so I lifted it and squatted over the bowl but after I wiped myself with tissues I think I saw a spec of blood on the tissue which I pulled from the toilet holder. I am now worried that I may have touched my genitals and vagina with this spec of blood and I may be at risk from hiv or hepatitis ???
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could predispose you to UTI

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. A tiny speck of blood on a toilet tissue is unlikely to put you at risk of HIV or Hepatitis B. But it could have contained bacteria that could give you an urinary tract infection.

You need not panic. Wait and watch to see if you have any difficulty or burning sensation or any urgency while passing urine. If still apprehensive, after a couple of days you can get your urine tested for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Thank you for answering my query, but could you please clarify. Does this mean that my chances of getting hiv or hep b from this encounter are extremely low or almost none existent and I have no need to get tested for Hiv or hep b ?? I wait your kind response. Thank you Sir .

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It does not spread like that

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
You need not get tested. HIV or hepatitis B does not spread by external contact to blood.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 21 minutes later
Thank you, I am satisfied by your response Sir
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
In case you found my answer to be helpful, I would request you to close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.

Wish you health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha