Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Can an unusual growth in calf muscles and less urination be a symptom of filaria?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I notice an unusual growth in my calf muscles since past 8 months and they have become very hard and tough..Is this one of the symptom of filaria?
Also i dont urinate properly i.e. i take ample amount of water but urinate comparatively very less(even if i feel like urinating)
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Filariasis which is an infectious parasitic disease causes edema with thickening of the skin and underlying tissues. It does not cause isolated swelling in the calf region only but can cause lymphadema which can cause enlargement of the size of legs. To completely rule out this condition, you should get a night time blood smear examination for microfilariae done. A thick smear should be made and H and E staining done.

For such kind of hard growth of the calf area, calf muscle hypertrophy also needs to be ruled out. This is when the muscle becomes enlarged. Muscle hypertrophy usually suggests a muscle disorder, rather than parasitic infection or nerve problem. Secondly secondary myopathies due to medical causes like thyroid and parathyroid dysfunction, dermatomyositis and polymyositis and Lyme’s disease should be ruled out.

You need a comprehensive profile of investigations, including blood tests, muscle enzyme levels, XXXXXXX levels, electromyography and a muscle biopsy done.

Lastly for the urinary symptoms that you are having, it can be due to kidney infections, any blockage in the flow of urine like any scar tissue, tumors in the pelvic region, stones in kidneys or ureters, infection like UTI or due to disruption of the delicate and complex system of nerves that connects the urinary tract with the brain and the nervous system.

A urologist should also be consulted and an ultrasound/ CT abdomen, kidney function tests, urine examination and culture and maybe a cystoscopy needs to be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor