Can a plastic toilet seat hurt wrist in an injury?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Apr 2016 in General Health
Question: I was cleaning my toilet and the top of the toilet seat fell down on my wrist. The seat is made of plastic. It happened about 2 hours ago and there is no swelling and I can move my wrist. Could the top of the toilet seat hurt my wrist? How heavy does something have to be if it falls on your wrist to hurt it?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Top of the toilet seat usually does not cause fracture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There is no simple answer on the question how heave the object must be. It all depends of many factors including the height it falls from, the area which it hurts (muscles covered bone gets fractured harder), fatty tissue amount and bones resistance (osteoporosis can make even minor injury serious).

Generally, toilet seat should not cause bone fracture at the wrist. Especially plastic one.
I suggest you to wait and see. Put some lukewarm compresses on the injured area. If the bone is not fractured, few days should be enough to make it painless. If not, than go to an x-ray.

Hope this help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.