question-icon

Can a cold, cough and nasal congestion effect an HIV test?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Hi there

I recently took the regular blood test for hiv. It has been 4 weeks since I had sex. It was safe but I just wanted to be sure. My question is that I have the common cold - some cough and nasal congestion - might this effect the results? Since cold is considered a viral problem, does it have the potential to alter results of regular hiv blood test? Or no? Thank you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Common cold would not affect the results of HIV test

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again to HCM

Earliest HIV manifestations (Acute infection or Primary HIV infection) can occur 4-6 weeks after the exposure in the presence of an infection. Not earlier than that. Anything earlier could not be due to HIV. You had safe sex. So you need not worry.
Common cold is also caused by Virus which is not related to HIV. There are more than 100 viral diseases in the world, which can affect human being and each has its own specific manifestations. Common cold would have no influence on HIV or on the HIV test results.
So nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist