Can a cold, cough and nasal congestion effect an HIV test?
I recently took the regular blood test for hiv. It has been 4 weeks since I had sex. It was safe but I just wanted to be sure. My question is that I have the common cold - some cough and nasal congestion - might this effect the results? Since cold is considered a viral problem, does it have the potential to alter results of regular hiv blood test? Or no? Thank you
Common cold would not affect the results of HIV test
Welcome once again to HCM
Thanks for posting your query.
Earliest HIV manifestations (Acute infection or Primary HIV infection) can occur 4-6 weeks after the exposure in the presence of an infection. Not earlier than that. Anything earlier could not be due to HIV. You had safe sex. So you need not worry.
Common cold is also caused by Virus which is not related to HIV. There are more than 100 viral diseases in the world, which can affect human being and each has its own specific manifestations. Common cold would have no influence on HIV or on the HIV test results.
So nothing to worry.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Night sweats cold nasal congestion
- Is nasal congestion an early symptom of hiv
- No energy coughing nasal congestion
- Wheezing cough with nasal congestion
- Hiv cause nasal congestion
- Nasal congestion acute hiv
- Nasal congestion and coughing
- Flashlight test for nasal congestion
- Can robitussin cold cough and flu cure cough and nasal congestion?
- Can i take coricidin hbp cough and cold for cough and nasal congestion?