Can Zoloft be taken along with beta blocker for arrhythmia?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello, I take Zoloft for depression with great results. My identical twin is on a beta blocker prescribed for rapid heartbeat due to stress. She insists that according to her cardiologist she is unable to also take Zoloft or any other similar drug. (She has always been reluctant to try new medications.) The problem is that she really needs to address her obsessive tendencies, general unhappiness, and the tendency to be offended by nearly everything. She is always "stewing over" something, even insignificant issues, and blaming others for her woes. We are 61 and she has worsened to the point that she has alienated many family members. I am very worried about her and want her to feel better, this is no way to live! I know that Zoloft corrects serotonin levels in the brain and helps with obsessing, as well as depression. There is a strong history in our family of mental health disorders on both sides of the family. As my identical twin, I don't think she could have missed out on this genetic reality! My younger sister and my 88 year old mother also take Zoloft with wonderful results. I recall that even as a child my twin could never let issues go or fully process how her behavior affected others. Thank you so much for your advice. I love my twin sister and am terribly worried about her.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Zoloft is indeed a very good drug amd speaking abot pharmacogenetics, it should definately help your sister as well. As far as i know zoloft is one of the safest medicines for depression among the cardiac patients. Do you mind mentioning which heart problem is she is suffering from?

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Can Zoloft be taken along with beta blocker for arrhythmia? 17 hours later
My sister's son just confirmed that his mother's heart condition is arrhythmia. He's going to try to find out the actual name of her medication for me. As far as you know, is Zoloft ok for someone with this cardiac problem? Thanks so much.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Zoloft is relatively safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Zoloft is relatively safe for such cardiac conditions and can be trusted on.
It may be used in lower dosage. Also keep your treating psychiatrist informed about the cardiac conditions.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD