Can Zenoxidil be used for a long period?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Hair Loss
Question: My hairs(34 years age) are going,having alopecia, used minoxdil 10% by doctor for 2-3 months but not regular now other doctor told zenoxidil 5%. Please suggest.

Is any side effect of using this medicines for long? Some people say that it can lead impotency and sperm reduce problem if minoxdil is used for long? Second thing my father got bald completely in 40 years, so can i save myself from this alophecia. Third thing i am taking some anti-depression medicines as nexito 15 mg for last 4 years. so is there any side-effect with this medicines. Fourth thing, some people say that i have to cut all my hairs or shave then apply this minoxdil on clean head, then it will effect. Fifth thing this has to be applied once or twice in day. Sixth i am using Xgain Shampoo to wash my hairs twice a week, is this ok? Seventh thing Richfeel organization do a lot of things in this alophicia problem to regenerate hairs. Is this true? And last thing people also say that if we stop this minoxdil then all hairs will go soon, that we saved in so many years. Please clarify all confusions. And last thing, i am now using mintop 10% for last 15 days regularly, and i am seeing a lot of hair fall instead of hair fall stop. Again last thing, after mintop 10% feel little bit stress in head, so i want to know this is due to that mintop or just phycological thinging and taking already anti- depression medicines Thanks..
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Topical Minoxidil is common and usually safe

Detailed Answer:

Is any side effect of using this medicines for long?
== Minoxidil topical is generally well tolerated. Topical Minoxidil / zenoxidil lotion do not have extreme side effects for normal people. Only skin rash can occur.

Some people say that it can lead impotency and sperm reduce problem if minoxdil is used for long?
==I do not support this notion. The sperm production volume does not influence with minoxidil according to the literature.

i am taking some anti-depression medicines as nexito 15 mg for last 4 years. so is there any side-effect with this medicines.
== no

Fourth thing, some people say that i have to cut all my hairs or shave then apply this minoxdil on clean head, then it will effect.
== As long as the medication is absorbed the effect should be seen only after 3 to 4 months of continous use. You should use regularly for 4 months to see the benefit. Irregular use has no benefit. During the first three months minoxidil causes hair loss, the doctor should have instructed about this feature to you.

Fifth thing this has to be applied once or twice in day.
== Do as directed by your doctor once or twice is fine.

Sixth i am using Xgain Shampoo to wash my hairs twice a week, is this ok?
== Yes you may use it comfortably.

Seventh thing Richfeel organization do a lot of things in this alophicia problem to regenerate hairs. Is this true?
== I do not have any idea how Richfeel operates. Since they are into the field of Trichology they should have qualified doctors treating. Ask for their certification in case of doubt before you put your money on it.

And last thing people also say that if we stop this minoxdil then all hairs will go soon, that we saved in so many years.
== Few people are different and it may happen to them sometimes the minoxidil effect may soon lose. Then they should go for Follicle transplant.

Again last thing, after mintop 10% feel little bit stress in head, so i want to know this is due to that mintop or just phycological thinging and taking already anti- depression medicines Thanks..
== Topical minoxidil is safe so you should not have stress. Please get your blood pressure checked regularly. It could be you are touching higher pressures.

Hope this answers.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor for detail answer. But one thing having again confusion. i am using mintop 10% for last 15 days, but when i went to another doctor he told me that use zenoxdil 5%. so now my 10% bottle have been finished. so which i should use either 10% or 5 % with safely and effectively. Because i want to play safe without any side effect..

2. How can be done Follicle transplant.
3. Gulfgate is an organization in XXXXXXX that works on hair fixing and hair fall issues. how it is? Please suggest..
http://hairfixing.com/

Thanks again!!
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should decide to stick to one doctor

Detailed Answer:

I cannot advise you what to use but I can advise you to decide on which doctor to follow. It means it is not about choosing one medicine over other but choosing one doctor over other in your case. Now that you got some info from me you should choose to trust on one. Both of medicines are effective.

Follicle transplantation is a special expetize you will be guided well at Rich feel clinic.

For now stop losing track and concentrate on the available doctors in your area than wandering in XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Thanks so much,

so it means, i should regular use mintop 10% regularly to 4-6 months.

2. According to u how many months i should use this mintop 10% as 6 months or 1 year or 2 year.

3 is any method for hairs in this field that can grow more hairs on head or we can come back as i was having hairs 5-6 years ago?

4. in XXXXXXX how is hair transplantation and how much cost minimum?

5. how is hair fixing and hair weaving and bonding, is this safe, if i don't get good result after using minoxidil 10%.

6. And last thing, my father lost all hairs till age 40 years. so will i also loose all hairs till 40? or can we save this and can grow more hairs, if yes that which method?

Thanks!!
Brief Answer:
My answers

Detailed Answer:
1. Continue Mintop for one more month and visit the same doctor who prescribed it. There should be a follow up necessary.

2. Mintop should be used for at least 4 months with regular follow up by doctor

3. Not that I know of

4. Per hair, it takes approx Rs100 to Rs150. It has maintainance cost as well. The doctor will better explain you.

5. I am not sure about them. I do not know about Trichology well than that of a practising Trichologist.

6. At least genetics had quite high preponderance in terms of hair growth and fall. So there are high chances that you will lose hair too if not sooner.
Cosmetic changes like transplant can only be done.