Can Triphala be taken for constipation during early pregnancy?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Ayurveda
Question: Hello, Is it ok to take trifala churna in early pregnancy for constipation, bloating and gas? Please suggest anything else that can be taken for bloating etc?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
bloating during pregnancy is normal

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and after reviewing your history I'm of the following opinion:

1. Although Triphala is the best detoxifying agent but since acts as a laxative thus carries chances of miscarriages and for the same reason shouldn't be consumed by breast feeding mother [as may cause diarrhea in nursing baby and bloating in mother]

PS. amla can be taken as individual but haritaki/baheda the other two present in trifla are Contraindicated in Pregnancy.

2. best way to relieve constipation and associated symptoms during pregnancy is/are:
. taking fibre rich diet [whole grains like oats,prunes,figs,carrots,] and eat in small proportion [eat slowly and chew properly] to avoid overloading the digestive system
. fresh fruits and vegetables [orange/grapes/pineapple juice are ideal], little of bitter taste before meal is good: ginger,lemon juice in hot water or may consult a Nutritionist to follow a pregnancy diet.
. maintain adequate hydration
. walk or exercise for atleast 30 minutes
. avoid gas forming food like: potatoes,cabbage, cauliflower, honey, beans, broccoli, wheat, onion, fatty food(s),carbonated beverages,sweetned fruit juices,chewing gums,dairy products,white rice,pasta
. take minimal of stress/anxiety [which can increase swallowing of air] and resulting abdominal gas/bloating/belching

3. As a general rule, try using any home remedy after consulting your attending physician, however I do Madhiphala Rasayan [sandu], Gasex tablet/Syrup [himalaya] since they are not known to cause side effect if taken as per the prescribed dosage.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj