Can Oxycontin be taken for osteoarthritis?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Pain Management
Question: I am on tale in in for pain for Otheo arit. It's not working after many years I'm at wits end with pain. Would OxyContin really hep I would be careful I know all the bad and as it isright now life is not much worth living n this amount. Of constant pain. I exercise, eat right so on. Hoe do I pay?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OSteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, just wanted to clarify..That you have Osteoarthritis of the knee joints right?

Well for the management of pain due to osteoarthritis, it is a bit of a difficult disease.

Firstly yes exercise and weight reduction are helpful

2. Oxycontin or Tylenol you can try. These 2 drugs are safe and wont harm your liver or kidneys

3. But if the pain is too intense, I would suggest you get an intra articular injection in both the knee joints. We normally give a tiny dose of steroids along with local anesthetic in the joints. It is known to work well and provides good relief

4. The last resort remains surgery only.

But do let me know which joints are more painful for you and if you have any recent X Rays

Await your reply

DR Naval
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
I have had the surgery and replacements In all joints. I have been ex rayed as well as bone scans several times. The athritus is all encompassing. The surgery did help for awhile and got me out of a wheelchair.
I have the surgery in all joints.been ex rayed and bone scanned.this helped to get me out of a wheelchair , but the pain continues in the entire body. I am five three and weigh 130 lbs. what do you suggest for pain control? I am taking800mg of ibruprophen plus 2 50mg tablets of talwin every four hours. Still no relief. I,m really worn out and discouraged. Thanks. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic pain syndrome

Detailed Answer:
good evening.

Well the sort of pain you are having is called as chronic pain syndrome/fibromyalgia. it is very common after surgery and doesn't improve with routine nsaids.

I won't suggest you take that much of ibuprfoen is it can harm the kidneys. Tylenol will be a safer option

secondly I would suggest you to try with duloxetine or amitryptilline. these drugs are quite good for the chronic pain.but you will need a prescription for the same.

You can read up about it on the net, but yes please stop the other strong painkillers before it gets more harmful

do let me know for more queries. would be happy to help out

regards
dr naval