Can Omeprazole cause osteoporosis?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am female 70 years of age I have a stomach ulser for past 10 years and have been taking Omeprazole. I have osteoporosis and family have histrory of breast cancer
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

What would you like to know?

I need some more information.

1. When was the last endoscopy done and what was the finding?
2. Were you tested for Helicobacter pylori infection?
3. Did you take any painkiller medications?

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 days later
Hi Dr R K Sorry for delay in reply but have got some of the answers to your queries.
. When was the last endoscopy done and what was the finding? XXXXXXX 2014 Earlier found small ulser at top of stomach adjacent to oesophagus identified as Fosmax reflex ?? Fosmax was stopped and earlier mentioned drugs prescribed.
2. Were you tested for Helicobacter pylori infection? Dont think so no evidence of it.
3. Did you take any painkiller medications? No
Am continuing to have pain in ulser area and have infrequent bouts of severe diarrhoea.
Thanks Regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional information.

I presume biopsy was done from the ulcer and it was benign.
Omeprazole itself can cause osteoporosis if taken for a longer period of time.
So stop it after discussing with your doctor.

Get tested for Helicobacter pylori and if found positive you should get treated for that for relief from ulcer.

Meanwhile you can take ranitidine or famotidine along with sucaralfate for pain relief.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.