Can Nexium cause Alzheimer's disease?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A friend heard on the news that Nexium has been linked to Alzheimer's & Dementia. Is this true?
I have been taking Nexium for over 10 years. Every time I stop taking it the acid gets unbearable.
I've tried other acid reducers and they do not work for me.
Thank you,
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there's no definite answer...

Detailed Answer:

although there are studies linking nexium use (and other proton pump inhibitors, PPI) and Alzheimer's disease (AD) there's no proof that the drug is the cause. The studies focused on prescription data mostly and there is indeed a relation. One study showed that people who used PPI for a long time, had 44% more AD. Despite that, there is no certainty that the cause was the PPI.

Some potential mechanisms have been suggested, like reduced absorption of vitamin B12 or a direct effect of PPI on the brain, but no study has addressed this issue completely.

Alternatives include H2-receptor antagonists, prostaglandins, antacids.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!