Can Mirtazapine, Paroxetine and Pristiq be taken for bipolar disorder?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: ok I have a bunch of medicines from my wife and I am trying to work out what the actual illnesses are they are used to treat, I think she is bi-polar, she is always very angry, the medicines are Mirtazapine, Paroxatine, Pristiq
my email is < YYYY@YYYY >
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antidepressants.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

Mirtazapine, paroxetine and pristiq (desvenlafaxine) are all antidepressants.

These are not generally used in bipolar disorder as these can cause manic switch. These can be used in bipolar disorder only in case of acute depressive phase.

Bipolar disorder has phases of depression and mania.
Anger outbursts need not necessarily indicate bipolar disorder.

A detailed evaluation by a psychiatrist is must for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.