• question-icon

Can Dveniz be taken for anxiety and panic attacks?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Dear doctor - does dveniz help with anxiety/panic attacks? What it's dosage and timing and how long does it take to show effect? Is it useful for anticipatory anxiety too?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its tolerated relatively better but not much efficacious in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I have used Desvenlafaxine in a number of my patients about a couple of years back and I didn't find that drug much efficacious compared to other antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs. Though its tolerability is relatively better but I don't think this will help much in anxiety and panic attacks. You have persistent anxiety despite use of a variety of medicines and I don't think this will be able to control anxiety.

Starting dose is around 50 mg twice a day and if needed can be increased to 100 mg twice a day.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
i have tried it in the past and it helped me, then in between it started giving me stomach problems. my doc has told me to give it a try again. is venlafaxine better than desvenlafaxine and at what dose? what other drug should i try if not dveniz?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes in that case you can start Desvenlafaxine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Desvenlafaxine is derived from Venlafaxine only. Desvenlafaxine is better tolerated. In term of efficacy Venlafaxine is good. If the drug helped you in past then better to try Desvenlafaxine for now. This should help you in reducing the depressive symptoms.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 days later
My doctor is of the opinion that i should try rTMS, i have following doubts:
Is it safe to undergo rTMS?
What is the success rate of remission of depression?
Does it work for anticipatory anxiety and social/meeting phobia?
The internet says that one should go for it if the antidepressants don't work, in my case its not that they don't work, its just that ssris/snris that are meant to treat this don't suit me as they give me very bad stomach problems (bloating, belching, churning, pain, gas etc.). Do you think its worth trying and what are the chances that it will work in my case?
Are there any side effects like headache, twitching of muscles etc.?
How many sessions does it take to work?
Pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for rTMS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I haven't used rTMS in my patients. Few of my colleagues have rTMS installed at their clinics. They are using this as add on to medicines. Multiple sessions are needed to get remission of symptoms. The therapy is safe and has no serious side effects but yes headache is one of very common side effect after rTMS.

It has great efficacy in recurrent depression but efficacy in anxiety is not very good.

Since you are not getting relief despite long duration of treatment (even if it was due to improper doses because of inability to tolerate medicines) so yes you can try for that. You should get relief of depressive symptoms definitely.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 41 hours later
After you have completed rTMS therapy, how long do the effects last? how many sessions it takes to show effect?
Also, my sleep is very disturbed, i take quetiapine 100 and sizopin 12.5, between the two which one should i increase for better sleep and by what dose?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Clozapine can be increased

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Though response varies between individuals but after good response the remission period can be seen for about a year. The effects can last up to a year. In some individuals maintenance with antidepressants is needed.

You can increase the Clozapine to 25 mg and this will improve the sleep. This will help in resistant symptoms.

Thanks.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist