• question-icon

Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Venlafaxine

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: MY SON IS SWITCHING FROM VENLAFAXINE TO PRISTIQ. He has had 2 days without venlafaxine after 3 days of having both. He is having symptoms of venlafaxine withdrawal including fatiq\gue, lancing pain with eye movement and nausea. Is it a usual to switch over in 3 days>
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not usual, but in this case makes sense as drugs are so similar

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Usually switches between drugs are done over more extended periods of time then 3 days, it is a process of a gradual reduction over weeks. The reason that your psychiatrist has recommended a more rapid switch in this case is because the two drugs are very similar. Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) is a metabolite of Venlafaxine, so they act in identical ways with the differences consisting only into easier dosing and fewer interactions.
So in theory there should be no withdrawal syndrome since Pristiq is being taken, perhaps it's also a psychological reaction, fear and anxiety from stopping Venlafaxine. However there may be slight differences in metabolism between different individuals which may be responsible for an withdrawal reaction in this case. So you should discuss with the psychiatrist the possibility of taking a low dose of Venlafaxine, reducing it gradually before interrupting altogether.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist