Can Meftal Forte help cure abdominal cramps caused by diarrhoea?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have bad diarrhea & stomach cramps the doctor gave me Meftal Forte for it, is it good for what I have, email : YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a pain killer to help with the stomach cramps

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Meftal forte is a combination of paracetamol and mefenamic acid. Both of these are pain killers.
Mefenamic acid is in the same family of drugs as medications such as ibuprofen, cataflam or naproxen

This pain killer (meftal forte) would help relieve your pain/cramping.

If your stomach is irritated (eg if you have vomiting or reflux with the diarrhea), it is possible that the mefenamic acid part may worsen your stomach symptoms so using plain paracetamol may be best in that case.

Medications such as lomotil or peptobismol may help with the diarrhea as would the use of probiotics

Remember to hold off solid foods, use only fluids till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions