Can Levoday help cure nose congestion and cold?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have severe nose congestion and cold ,can I take levoday
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can but also do the following

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Levoday contains levofloxacin which is an antibiotic and can be used in respiratory tract infections. Mostly they are used in lower respiratory tract infections but however these are effective in upper airway problems also. If such a patient came to me I would have suggested-
Azithromycin or levofloxacin antibiotics.
Xylometazoline nasal drops for decongestion.
Fexofenadine or levocetrizine for watering from nose or sneezing if any.
Avoiding cold or chilled food products.

You can also take levoday. But also follow the rest of the suggestions.
You can consult your treating or family doctor about the above.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 27 minutes later
Can you please explain the course and the dosage
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Azithromycin can be taken as 500mg tablets once daily for 5 days, whereas levofloxacin can be taken as 500mg tablets twice daily for 5 days.
Xylometazoline can be given 1-2 drops in each nostril 1-2 times a day.
Fexofenadine or levocetrizine can be taken at bedtime once daily as required.

You should consult your doctor for prescription of the above.
Also, depending on your symptoms, dose can be altered by your doctor.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina