Owl Image

Can Imitrex and Aleve be taken together?

Question
I suffer from common migraine w/tension headache component for which I use Imitrex 50-100 mg, 1/2-1 tab po q 4h PRN for relief. I've been told that taking Aleve (naprosyn sodium) in conjunction with the Imitrex will potentiate the effect of the Imitrex.

Also, why do strobe lights from emergency vehicles and/or in clubs trigger a migraine?

Thanks.

Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No interaction between Imitrex and aleve

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

You have mentioned you are taking Alevec (NSAID pain killer) and Imitrex (Sumatriptan for migraine headache). I have not found any interaction between these two drugs and I don't think Aleve will potentiate the effects of Imitrex.

It is still not clear as to why light triggers migraine. However the current research indicates that bright light triggers retina cell and the transmitted impulse sensitizes group of neurons in the brain which causes pain. There are research going on to find a way to block this path way to relieve pain. So my suggestion is that you should wear glasses especially when you go out under bright light/sun. Get into a dark room as soon as you develop pain.

Avoid stress and do yoga or meditation.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.