Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Can I get HIV through water?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
Two days back on 03 may 2013,i took a tumbler of water accidentally which is supposed to be for somebody else.I fear that the water might contain hiv blood.Could you please let me know when and what tests should i take for detecting hiv ?
detection in bangalore?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

Please don't worry, you are safe.
First of all there is almost negligible chance of spread of HIV through blood dissolved in water.
The HIV virus can not survive for a long time in water.
Even if it does, the viral load will be neglible to cause any infection.

Secondly, if you are too much concerned about having acquired an HIV inection, you can get p24 assay or PCR for HIV done.
These tests becomes positive within a week and are almost 100 % sensitive.
Even the presence of a single virus in the body can be detected by PCR.

If this test comes negative, you can be sure that you are safe.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can I get HIV through water? 19 minutes later
Thanks for your reply Mr.Polash.Could you also let me know when(hope there is a window periodfor these tests p24 assay and pvr),i mean the time period,can i put myself for these tests,as the incident took place two days back.I appreciate your short feedback on this
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 16 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

The window period for the PCR tests is less than 1-2 weeks.
And as already 3 days have been over, it will be better to wait for 3 more days and then take the test.
It will eliminate the probabilities of a false result.

Please don't worry.
Hope everything turns out to be fine.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor