Can HIV be contracted through unprotected vaginal sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Had protected vaginal sex with an escort, when I removed my penis to ejacuate, I saw my condom was broken..we didn't have sex for very well long, less than 2 minutes. How high/low is my risk? Do I need to go to a clinic to get a prescription for PEP? I don't know the escorts status..she said she is clean
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV transmission is much less than that of an unprotected vaginal sex.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
The risk of unprotected insertive vaginal sex is 4 per 10000 insertions as per CDC XXXXXXX USA.(https://www.yyy.gov/hiv/yyyy/yyyyyyyyy/riskbehaviors.html).
But you had protected exposure with a history of broken condom. So we can not take this protection as an absolute one. The duration of exposure did not matters much. Just a contact for a second sometimes may be infectious. It depends upon viral load, host immunity, friction, minute sex abrasions etc. So your risk is even lesser than that of an unprotected vaginal insertive sex.
There is every chance for the girl remain uninfected with HIV, as she would be well aware of the risk involved in her profession and would have taken adequate precautions and periodic check ups.
At the same time words of the escort would not be reliable totally.
PEP is meant for occupational exposures for health care worker, not for post exposure sexual risks.
There is separate category called as PrEP is recommended as a prophylaxis for the people at risk through their sexual contacts. That should be taken prior to exposure.
Anyhow ruling out HIV is recommended before resume your sexual activities with appropriate HIV test after the completion of window period.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 5 minutes later
So your saying risk of hiv is very low and ruled out ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV risk is very low

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Your HIV risk is very low.
But ruling out HIV with appropriate test is good, otherwise it will linger in your mind and tax you much in future with every small illness like even a headache.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
My doctor has given me teevir by mylan. Is this medication the right one?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PEP is not authentically indicated for post sexual exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Once again I am telling you that there is no role for PEP for post sexual exposure as per recommendations. There is not much studies to support the same. Teevir is considered as alternate choice for PEP as per WHO and CDC guidelines. It is up to you to decide whether to complete the course or not.
Anyhow PEP recommendations also say that the individual should under surveillance and follow till 6 months. If the test for HIV remains nonreactive even after 6 months after the day 1 of PEP, individual can be declared that he/she is free from HIV and allowed to resume his/her sexual activities.
DR S.Murugan