Owl Image

Can HIV be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Owl Image
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Question
I received unprotected oral sex from a prostitute last night. I'm obviously regretting this decision I'm hind sight. My question is at what risk am I at for contracting a std or hiv? I'm a male 32 years old.
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding risk of STDs with unprotected oral sex

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
With unprotected receptive oral sex the main risk is of herpes simplex infection. The risk of HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia though exists is negligible or very low. Anyways since any form of unprotected sex has a risk of transmitting STDs therefore you should screen for all STDs are 4 weeks and repeat screening at 12 weeks.
If in the meantime you develop any suggestive symptoms like genital sores or urethral discharge you should present yourself for examination to a Venerelogist.