• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear sir,
I had protected (Durex condome) vaginal intercourse and unprotected oral sex with a girl for 3 times in a day. After a month I started worrying about HIV, then me (rapid card method) and my partner (ELISA 3rd gen) tested and result was negative. Then after 56 days my self took lab-based rapid card test and It was negative. After 70 days again me and my partner tested using 4th generation CMIA method and the result was negative for both of us with index values of 0.05 and 0.11, respectively. Here I am attaching my test results for your reference.

Overall, after the incident of 10 weeks me and my partner tested negative using 4th gen CMIA test. But still my anixity killing me. Am I in safe zone? do i need to test again?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are almost free from HIV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Window period for HIV is 6-8 weeks after the exposure, rarely delayed up to 12 weeks.
You both are non-reactive for HIV 70 days after the risky contact. You are almost free from HIV infection. 4th generation CMIA test is highly reliable up to 99%.
It is better to repeat the test once again 90 days after to get a more conclusive result.
If your partner's previous contact was 3 months back then your result is 100% conclusive even now.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 44 minutes later
Dear sir
I asked about her last activity. She said she had a protected sex with another guy before 20 days to me. Therefore, her test result from her last exposure to now is 80 days. Now, Can I consider this 100% conclusive and move on with my regular life. Also, During sex I have not noticed any damage in condome too. And did you ever seen in your professional experience 10 weeks 4th gen negative test result cahnged after 12 weeks?. I have read many forums they constantly saying no, but I just want to take your feed back too.

Thanking you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are almost free from HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Your partner 's last unprotected exposure counts than that of protected exposure.
95% cases of mine were referred by other practitioners with various types of manifestations. That means most cases of mine were diagnosed with manifestations. That is 7-10 years after exposure. Moreover 4th generation HIV test is available only for the past two years, not earlier than that. So I have not an occasion to come across a single case of HIV 4th generation test non-reactive by 10 weeks and became reactive after 12 weeks.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I just confirmed with my partner, she strongly claiming that she had only protected sex with the guy known status (hiv negative) 20 days before to me. Therefore, her test result from her last protected exposure to now is 80 days. Can i relay on mine and her results and move on with personal life. Thank u.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If she is sure about her activities, then your results are final and conclusive. No further test is necessary. Relax and continue your routine. Forget the incidence. Stick to safe sex in future.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist