question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through unprotected intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: Hello Doctor,

I recently had sex with a sex worker using protection, but the condom broke before ejaculation and I stopped it there. Am I safe ? Should I take any tests for STD ? If so, when ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The possibility of getting HIV or other STD is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concern you are worried about.

You had protected sex with a sex worker and the condom broke just before ejaculation then the risk of getting HIV or other STD is very less with such single short exposure even though she is positive so don't worry because you are almost safe.

You can go for HIV testing to confirm your status as it will give you mental satisfaction and also help to allay your fear or anxiety related to HIV.

As your friend I will also suggest for monogamous relationship because these kind of activities are at high risk so better to avoid them. For any further query you can get back to me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid (9 minutes later)
Thank You for the clarification doctor. If at all I have to go for any STD later, can you recommend me the test names and time frame that I have to wait before taking those tests ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can go for RNA PCR or 4tu generation Duos test after 15 days.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

RNA PCR or 4th generation Duos test for HIV after 15 days is highly reliable so you can go for it.

For other STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis and herpes etc you have to go for separate test for each disease or take STD panel test which include all of them. For any query get back to me again.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid (28 minutes later)
Thank You so much for the quick replies Doctor.

Lesson Learnt. Will not repeat this mistake again.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

You are most welcome and I am always available here to help you if needed. Wishing you happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist